Preparing for Hurricanes
Before the Hurricane
You should begin preparing well before the threat of a hurricane exists. If you live in an area susceptible to hurricanes, you should talk with your family and establish a plan. Several tips you can use to prepare:
- Create an evacuation plan. Ensure your family knows the plan well. Rehearse it so when the time comes to put it in action, it can be safely implemented.
- Prepare an emergency kit, such as our Hurricane Emergency Kit. You will want to be prepared for multiple scenarios, including being stranded at home or in the car. Make sure to have an emergency kit for each situation, and ensure you keep them stocked.
- Make sure your vehicle has a full tank of gas, and have everything you need for a possible evacuation ready to go.
- Secure all outdoor items that could be blown by the wind, and close all windows, doors, and shutters.
- Make sure small appliances are unplugged, and shut off gas supply.
- Stay tuned to a NOAA weather radio for updates on the situation.
During the Hurricane